I believe that food like good music and a good book is a solace to a person's soul. Food is both a science and an art - a yin-yang balance to your body and also an appreciation of colors, textures and sensory experience.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Simple Food and Simple Folks

Sometimes, friends will call me out for a meal and I will have to decline because I had my meal. This inadvertently will start a conversation as to what I made for dinner. Well, I had my fair share of cooking - sometimes elaborate meals but most of the time, I whipped out something really quick - like this dish.

I will fry potato croquette bought from a Korean H-mart at downtown and my customary fried egg. I love fried egg especially when the egg white becomes so crispy. I am always terrified that the oil will splatter on me. But its worth it. I love seeing the egg white sizzle and then slowly transform from a white liquid into   brown cripsy bits. And yet, still leaving the egg yolk relatively soft. Yummy. And of course no fried egg is complete without the customary dark soya sauce. In Vancouver, you can get a fairly wide range of dark soya sauce. Do not get the chicken rice dark soya sauce if you want to eat it with fried egg. There are some brands of dark soya sauce in the Asian supermarket which apart from being salty, serves no purpose at all. The dark soya sauce I have on hand is the tiger brand (http://www.chuencheong.com/) Its made in Singapore and Malaysia. I like it because its not that salty, is a bit caramelized and goes so well in a number of dishes.

My favorite potato croquette - I like this version: believe its curry. I drizzled Hoisin sauce on the potato - sometimes, I eat it with Japanese mayo.

I like having my fried egg drizzled with dark soya sauce. The combination is fantastic.

There is nothing like a nice pot of Chinese tea to complete your meal. On hindsight, there is so much carbs in my food - rice and potato.

 Until next time ... ciao :)

1 comment:

  1. Yea, the word and concept of "dark soysauce" is abused so much now. I got some dark soysauce from Osaka Mart (a subsidiary of T&T) in Richmond, and it turned out to be extremely salty while tasting the exact same as normal soy sauce.

    Because you can't tell whether the "dark soy sauce" you are buying is good from just looking at the bottle, I make the rule of thumb that the proper dark soy sauce would be the ones with the salt content of around 600-700mg per 15ml serving. Anything with around 1000mg of salt per 15ml is just normal soy sauce with colorings in it.

    The best brand would also has a very slight sticky consistency to it too, but not too viscuous (that would be "thick soy sauce", another hard to find and delicious, but completely different, thing)

    ReplyDelete